[COLOR="White"][SIZE="2"]This is MY version of simple smudging, and a bit more after that.
I'll be using this render to start out.
Next step, you can either find a background that will match the color of some part of your render, or you can duplicate the original render as many times as needed to fill up the background. I'm going to duplicate my background.
This is what I got after a bit of duplicating. I duplicated the original oversized render + the newly resized one as you can see.
![[Image: 9ad335c63137465bbbecb57.png]](http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5727/9ad335c63137465bbbecb57.png)
Now you'll want to merge the layer before you begin your smudging. Select all of your duplicated layers, make sure you don't select your render. Right click the selected layers, and click 'merge layers.'
![[Image: dea22f2092364769bded4c8.png]](http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6481/dea22f2092364769bded4c8.png)
After clicking merge layers, you'll have one large layer.
![[Image: 43ab1baf6f4b440c885cd31.png]](http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9536/43ab1baf6f4b440c885cd31.png)
Now you'll begin choosing your brushes. Usually for smudges like these, I'll use a normal brush set to 95% hardness or so.
![[Image: 817d8bda0f7c481b92ad3a1.png]](http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3109/817d8bda0f7c481b92ad3a1.png)
Now, the fun part. You can do whatever you want here, I'm going to do a simple smudge job for learning purposes.
This is halfway, me smudging OUTWARD from the render.
![[Image: fbb450be11114689a493f75.png]](http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6924/fbb450be11114689a493f75.png)
Remember, smudgeing is your friend, have fun with it, mess around with it until you get something you like.
![[Image: e9fe62660c4d46308ea340c.png]](http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1781/e9fe62660c4d46308ea340c.png)
That's my basic smudge. Now you can mess with the colors and such adding anything that looks nice with the render. Go wild with it.
Messing with some lighting and colors;
![[Image: 79115014a5b341e690aa6d5.png]](http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8791/79115014a5b341e690aa6d5.png)
Adding a few C4Ds
![[Image: cafb96471c454cba9d7383a.png]](http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6398/cafb96471c454cba9d7383a.png)
Let's add some nebula.
![[Image: c9ad8f8170f74b039365bac.png]](http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4540/c9ad8f8170f74b039365bac.png)
A little bit of lighting never hurt!
![[Image: 1d3c383029944dfb8aa0296.png]](http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3262/1d3c383029944dfb8aa0296.png)
Doing a little touch up'ing.
![[Image: 3c079e309edf4cffbccf324.png]](http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8542/3c079e309edf4cffbccf324.png)
Add a border.
![[Image: ee5fc7784e36451ba442188.png]](http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2418/ee5fc7784e36451ba442188.png)
And you're done. ^_^
Here's the finished product. I just added the text so there'd be no ripping. Not that I don't trust you guys. Wasn't aiming for the text to be placed well.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I'll be using this render to start out.
![[Image: fc5bbe4d7a3040428547cbb.png]](http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3981/fc5bbe4d7a3040428547cbb.png)
Next step, you can either find a background that will match the color of some part of your render, or you can duplicate the original render as many times as needed to fill up the background. I'm going to duplicate my background.
This is what I got after a bit of duplicating. I duplicated the original oversized render + the newly resized one as you can see.
![[Image: 9ad335c63137465bbbecb57.png]](http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5727/9ad335c63137465bbbecb57.png)
Now you'll want to merge the layer before you begin your smudging. Select all of your duplicated layers, make sure you don't select your render. Right click the selected layers, and click 'merge layers.'
![[Image: dea22f2092364769bded4c8.png]](http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6481/dea22f2092364769bded4c8.png)
After clicking merge layers, you'll have one large layer.
![[Image: 43ab1baf6f4b440c885cd31.png]](http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9536/43ab1baf6f4b440c885cd31.png)
Now you'll begin choosing your brushes. Usually for smudges like these, I'll use a normal brush set to 95% hardness or so.
![[Image: 817d8bda0f7c481b92ad3a1.png]](http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3109/817d8bda0f7c481b92ad3a1.png)
Now, the fun part. You can do whatever you want here, I'm going to do a simple smudge job for learning purposes.
This is halfway, me smudging OUTWARD from the render.
![[Image: fbb450be11114689a493f75.png]](http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6924/fbb450be11114689a493f75.png)
Remember, smudgeing is your friend, have fun with it, mess around with it until you get something you like.
![[Image: e9fe62660c4d46308ea340c.png]](http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1781/e9fe62660c4d46308ea340c.png)
That's my basic smudge. Now you can mess with the colors and such adding anything that looks nice with the render. Go wild with it.
Messing with some lighting and colors;
![[Image: 79115014a5b341e690aa6d5.png]](http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8791/79115014a5b341e690aa6d5.png)
Adding a few C4Ds
![[Image: cafb96471c454cba9d7383a.png]](http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6398/cafb96471c454cba9d7383a.png)
Let's add some nebula.
![[Image: c9ad8f8170f74b039365bac.png]](http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4540/c9ad8f8170f74b039365bac.png)
A little bit of lighting never hurt!
![[Image: 1d3c383029944dfb8aa0296.png]](http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3262/1d3c383029944dfb8aa0296.png)
Doing a little touch up'ing.
![[Image: 3c079e309edf4cffbccf324.png]](http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8542/3c079e309edf4cffbccf324.png)
Add a border.
![[Image: ee5fc7784e36451ba442188.png]](http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2418/ee5fc7784e36451ba442188.png)
And you're done. ^_^
Here's the finished product. I just added the text so there'd be no ripping. Not that I don't trust you guys. Wasn't aiming for the text to be placed well.
![[Image: f3175cb99b2f48829b1ae44.png]](http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/1347/f3175cb99b2f48829b1ae44.png)



